Moving & Packing Tips
The Coffs Harbour Furniture Removals & Storage team have been in the industry for over 3 generations. Let us share some of what we have learned through this extensive experience in a small list of tips and tricks for moving and packing. This is far from a complete list so let us know if you have any ideas of your own in the comment section!
- Always get 3 or more removal quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal possible on your home removal. Prices can vary depending on a variety of circumstances.
- Provide a detailed itinerary of items to be moved and access conditions to your removalist when you get your quote, this will ensure that everything has been covered and there are no nasty surprises. There is nothing worse than turning up for a removal only to find that the truck is not nearly big enough or that we don’t have enough hands to manoeuvre furniture through difficult access areas.
- Get booking confirmation from your removalist. A confirmed booking or paid deposit makes it much more difficult for your removalist to ditch you on your removal date in favour of a more profitable move. Double booking is especially common during the holiday seasons.
- Ask about insurance. Most removalists should have loading, unloading and transit insurance. If you need additional coverage you will need to organise it yourself through an insurance broker.
- Drain the fuel from your lawn mower and other machinery. These must be transported with an empty tank.
- If you’re moving interstate consider finding a new home for your pot plants as you may not be allowed to take them across the border and the fine can be as much as $20 000. The same goes for some animals too so check the states Quarantine laws.
- Disconnect utilities and organise connection at your new home.
- Notify friends, family and appropriate agencies of your change in address. Also organise for your mail to be redirected to the new address.
- Defrost your fridge and freezer at least a day before you move. Throw a goodbye party for your neighbours to get rid of any food you’re not taking.
- Moving is a great opportunity to get rid of unwanted items that you have accumulated over the years. Try selling in a garage sale or give them away to friends/charity.
- Label your boxes with the room its intended for so that your home removal team will know where to put it at your new home. A full contents list can also be very helpful when trying to find items later.
- Pack essentials in the same box for easy access when you get to your destination.
- Use the right box, heavy and fragile items should always go in a small strong box such as a general/book. The lighter of your belongings can be packed in larger weaker boxes. A strong garbage bag is a perfect container for clothes and linen.